OOIDA has filed regulatory comments in response to FMCSA's Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Hours-of-Service. The comments advocate giving drivers more control over their schedules and knocking out restrictive HOS requirements that do not benefit highway safety. OOIDA recommended the following HOS changes:
- Let truckers pause their 14-hour clock for a single period of up to 3 hours
- Expand the short-haul exception from 12 to 14 hours
- Update the definition of the "Adverse Conditions" exception and let it apply to the 14-hour duty period
- Eliminate the 30-minute rest break requirement
- Increase split-sleeper berth flexibility
You can read OOIDA's full comments here.
As a reminder, you can still submit your own comments until Wednesday, October 10th. FMCSA needs to hear from real drivers with actual over-the-road experience - help us make the most of this and file your comments today!
Click here for a step-by-step video about how to file comments.
Air date: Oct. 9, 2018.